Keren McGinity, PhD
Keren McGinity, PhD
Keren R. McGinity is the inaugural director of Interfaith Families Jewish Engagement at Hebrew College’s Shoolman Graduate School of Jewish Education and the founding director of the Love & Tradition Institute. She is the author of Still Jewish: A History of Women & Intermarriage in America (NYU Press, 2009), a National Jewish Book Award Finalist, and Marrying Out: Jewish Men, Intermarriage, and Fatherhood (Indiana University Press, 2014). She is the editor of the Special Issue on Intermarriage and Authenticity of the Journal of Jewish Identities (2015). Dr. McGinity is affiliated with the Hadassah-Brandeis Institute at Brandeis University and also teaches American Studies there. She was the Mandell L. Berman Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Contemporary American Jewish Life at the University of Michigan’s Frankel Center for Judaic Studies (2008-2010) and earned her Ph.D. from Brown University, where she held an appointment as a visiting assistant professor of history (2005-2008).
- Jewish Intermarriage in the Modern American Context
- Models and Methods for Serving Interfaith Families
- Summer Seminar in Interfaith Families Jewish Engagement
- Faces and Fictions of Intermarriage
- Marrying Out: Jewish Men, Intermarriage, and Fatherhood. Bloomington: Indiana U. Press, 2014.
- Still Jewish: A History of Women and Intermarriage in America. New York: NYU Press, 2009.
- “Intermarriage and Authenticity,” Guest Editor and Introduction, Special Issue of the Journal of Jewish Identities, Youngstown, OH: Youngstown State University,vol. 8, no. 1. January 2015.
- “Intermarriage—Judaism—Modern Judaism” in Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception vol. 12, edited by Dale Allison, Jr., et al. Berlin/Boston: De Gruyter, 2015.
- “New Jewish Women: How Intermarried Christian-Raised Women Become ‘Jews-by-Choice’” in Why Jewish Women’s History Matters: An Archive of Stories in Honor of Gail Reimer, edited by Joyce Antler, eBook, Boston: May 2014.
- “The Hand that Rocks the Cradle: How the Gender of the Jewish Parent Influences Intermarriage.” In AJS Perspectives: The Marriage Issue, the Newsletter of the Association for Jewish Studies, Spring 2013.
- “Intermarriage.” In The Cambridge Dictionary of Judaism and Jewish Culture, edited by Judith Baskin. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, Summer 2011.
- “Intermarriage.” In Encyclopedia of Love in World Religions, edited by Yudit Kornberg Greenberg. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, 2009
- Interfaith Opportunity Summit 2016: Embracing the New Jewish Reality, Oct 26, 2016, National Museum of American Jewish History, Philadelphia, PA
- “Gender Matters: Using A New Lens to Better Understand Intermarriage and Engagement,” Hebrew College, Newton, MA, 23 May 2016.
- “Curb Your Enthusiasm: Interfaith Romance, Gender, and Popular Culture,” Walla Walla, WA, 15-17 February 2016.
- “Intermarriage and Jewish American Culture,” 45th Annual Conference of the Association for Jewish Studies, Boston, MA, 13 December 2015.
- “Speaking Truth to Power About Jewish Intermarriage” and “Intermarried Jewish Men and Women of Valor,” Temple Beth Emeth, Ann Arbor, MI, 19-20 February 2015.
- “Still Jewish and Newly Jewish: Two Histories of Women and Intermarriage in America,” Synagogue Council of Massachusetts, Newton, MA, 11 March 2015.