Dual Degree: MJEd and MAJS
Thank you for your interest in applying for the dual degree of Master of Jewish Education and Master of Arts in Jewish Studies at Hebrew College. Please read these instructions carefully before completing your application. Should you have any questions about the application process or regarding the status of your application, please contact us:
Office of Admissions
M-Th, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; F, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Selection of Candidates
Admissions decisions are based on a careful review of a candidate’s completed application, credentials, supporting documents and appropriateness for the degree program. Applicants for graduate-degree programs must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and a competitive GPA. Hebrew College admits qualified students without regard to age, sex, religion, disability, race, color or national origin. An application for financial aid does not in any way affect a candidate’s application for admission.
Office of Admissions
160 Herrick Road
Newton Centre, MA 02459
You are responsible to ensure that all of your application materials are received; we welcome calls or emails from candidates regarding the status of their applications.
Application deadlines are May 15 for fall admission, with a priority date of March 1, and Nov. 15 for spring admission. Extensions are granted on a case-by-case basis, though financial aid awards may be more limited for late applications.
All applicants must submit the following materials:
- A completed, signed application form
- Two essays, as described below
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate studies from accredited academic institutions. Please have official copies of transcripts forwarded directly from the issuing institution to the Office of Admissions.
- Three letters of recommendation, including at least one (if possible), from an academic instructor. If applying to the arts track, please include at least one recommendation which is arts-related. Letters should be completed on this form and mailed directly to the Office of Admissions, or sent electronically to email@example.com.
- A nonrefundable application fee of $50.
The interview is an essential and required part of the application process for all Hebrew College graduate-degree programs. This is an opportunity for us to get to know you and for you to learn more about the college and program for which you are applying. You may conduct your interview via phone, Skype or on campus.
Information about our financial aid policies may be found here. If you are applying for financial aid, please complete the required forms and submit with your application materials according to the deadline schedule above.
1. Please compose a two- to three-page essay in which you display your understanding or interpretation (or critique) of the following questions:
- Why are you applying to the Master of Jewish Education/Masters of Arts in Jewish Studies degree program at Hebrew College? How would studying here enable you to achieve your goals?
- Discuss your reactions, impressions and opinions to the following text:
"חנוך לנער על פי דרכו" ("Educate a child according to his/her own needs and direction...")
משלי כב ו ( Proverbs 22.6)
2. In a separate two- to three page essay, please answer the following question:
Select a book, article or essay related to Jewish life/culture or Jewish arts that you have read recently. Discuss your reactions, impressions and opinions.