Hebrew College has introduced a first-of-its kind ordination program designed to prepare rabbis and cantors for leadership in the 21st-century Jewish community.
As more cantors are being asked to fill not only educational and musical roles but pastoral roles as well, and more rabbis are being asked to take on the musical leadership of their congregation, the time has come to merge innovative musical education and pluralistic rabbinic training.
Through a blended five- or six-year curriculum that leverages the expertise and resources of both the Rabbinical School and the School of Jewish Music, the Rav-Hazzan (rabbi-cantor) program will award both rabbinic and cantorial ordination.
The program is structured to provide students with the broad range of skills and knowledge they will need to take on multiple spiritual-leadership responsibilities at congregations and other Jewish settings. In addition to cantorial and rabbinical ordination, graduates will receive a Master of Arts in Jewish Studies.
Fall Open House
We invite you to join us for our fall Open House & Day of Learning, Ta Sh'ma (Come & hear). Experience our vibrant pluralistic communiy and join with our students and faculty for an inspriring day of learning, conversation, music and prayer. Register Now.
Rav-Hazzan students will:
- Complete the core curricula of both programs.
- Receive voice lessons and cantorial coaching throughout their years of study, and will sing with Kol Arev, the Hebrew College chamber choir.
- Participate in two required Prayer Leader Summer Institutes with their cantorial classmates.
- Travel to Israel with their Rabbinical School cohort, and continue to take cantorial classes via Skype, online instruction, or with an Israeli instructor.
- Serve both rabbinic and cantorial internships during their time at Hebrew College.
- Present a Senior Service, combining elements of both rabbinical and cantorial leadership, in their final year preceding ordination.
- Students must be accepted into both the Rabbinical School and the School of Jewish Music cantorial program. Click the links to see each programs' requirements.
Office of Admissions
160 Herrick Road
Newton Centre, MA 02459
You are responsible to ensure that all of your application materials are received; we welcome calls or emails from candidates regarding the status of their applications.