Master of Arts in Jewish Liberal Studies
Discover your personal connection to Judaism through the creative vision of Jewish artists, poets, writers, musicians, philosophers and historians. A Master of Arts in Jewish Liberal Studies is a 30 credit interdisciplinary exploration of Jewish culture and civilization, viewed through the lens of the Jewish humanities.
Course of Study
Many students complete the MJLS degree through online learning; if you live locally, you may select from a mix of online and on-campus courses. All students participate in a weeklong summer residential seminar, held on campus, during the course of their studies. As part of the course of study, students take eight credits of text courses which require one hour of synchronous study with a fellow student.
- Basic Hebrew reading
- Completion of 30 credits, detailed below:
|Jewish History and Culture
|Texts of Jewish History and Culture*||8|
|Summer Weeklong Residential Seminar||3|
|Selection of three 3-course Jewish Culture Electives
|Independent study with a faculty member
|Graduate research seminar
* These courses include one hour of study each week with a study partner.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts of all previous undergraduate and graduate study
- Application, one essays
Director, Enrollment Management