Top 10 Jewish Composers
The Top Ten Jewish Composers is a series of educational and informational podcasts that explores the music of the most prominent composers of music with Jewish content. The series focuses on classically trained composers of who wrote either liturgical music or secular music based on Jewish themes.
Five video podcasts comprise the series. Each segment explores a compelling issue or theme related to the topic of Top Ten Jewish Composers and examines composers who wrote music with Jewish content related to that theme.
The series culminated with a May 17, 2012, concert at Temple Ohabei Shalom in Brookline, Mass. Performers included the Zamir Chorale of Boston, Kol Arev and other performers from the School of Jewish Music at Hebrew College.
To view the podcasts, follow the links below:
- Segment 1: What Is Jewish Music?
- Segment 2: Modernism in the Synagogue Before the 20th Century
- Segment 3: The St. Petersburg School and Its Successors
- Segment 4: Twentieth Century Synagogue Cantor-Composers and Conductor-Composers
- Segment 5: Twentieth Century American and Israeli Concert and Liturgical Music Composers
- Final Concert